The Department of Medicine offers the following Master Programs:
Clinical Practice, Management and Education
The UCLan School of Medicine is offering a series of short courses leading to Postgraduate Certificate, Diploma and Master’s for clinical and managerial practitioners working within integrated healthcare teams. Clinicians and managers can develop and enhance their portfolio career or diversify their current role. The program allows you to convert your previous study into academic credits towards a postgraduate award.
Medical Education MSc/PGDip/PGCert
Will you inspire and train the medics and healthcare professionals of the future? This series of postgraduate courses will provide an introduction to teaching, learning and assessing for those new to educating others and will allow experienced tutors to refine and enhance their skills by reviewing current practice. Suitable for doctors and other healthcare professionals who are responsible for teaching, assessing and supporting students and trainees, both in educational institutions and in the workplace, who wish to enhance their confidence and skills in medical education. Studying alongside peers within the healthcare sector who also have an educational role, you will explore ways of developing and delivering effective medical education, addressing challenges and investigating different approaches.
(Must hold medical or dental degree (e.g., MB ChB, MB BS, B.D.S), or degree-level qualification within another healthcare discipline)
Medical Sciences MRes
The program is designed to enable intercalating medical students and graduates to initiate a research career in key areas of medicine and bioscience in academia, health-care settings, or industry. It aims to provide high-quality training for real-life medical/biomedical research through a high-quality real-life experience.
(Students should have completed 4 years’ of MBBS or MBChB or equivalent or have completed an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Interview)
Medical Ultrasound PGCert/PGDip
The medical ultrasound program is designed to be flexible to suit variety of healthcare professionals and students aiming to start a career in ultrasound. The traditional route allows students to get an ultrasound qualification (PG-Cert, PG Dip, or MSc Medical ultrasound) by selecting abdominal and ObGy modules. The multiple optional modules provide professional development opportunity to those already working in the healthcare. The students can choose a module according to their professional needs to study in their own time and at their own pace. For example, those working in physiotherapy, rheumatology, orthopedics, pain therapists and rehabilitation medicine might wish to focus on musculoskeletal modules while GPs, acute physicians and emergency medicine trainees might select PoCUS modules. (NOTE: SOME OF THE MODULES MIGHT NOT BE OFFERED IN EACH SEMESTER).
- MBBS, MBChB or MD qualification. OR A degree in allied health subject.
- OR Relevant professional qualification for example a degree in Anatomy, Physiotherapy, Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation Medicine, and Physician Associate Practice.
Optometry MSc 3 years
The Masters in Optometry (MSc Optometry) is a unique program in the field of optometric education as:
It is delivered through a blended learning format which is designed to offer colleagues working within the optical industry a path to gain qualifications while they are working. It is a three year program with the last year combining the Optometry Scheme for Registration period along with the Master’s research project module. It is a fast-track program as within each calendar year, the teaching and learning will be delivered over three semesters meaning there are no long gaps between learning.
- Applicants will be a Registered Dispensing Optician (DO) with one-year post-registration experience along with passing the entrance exam. Applicants must be working in an optical practice in the UK.
- Entry into other levels such as part way into Level 7 will be subject to case by case review for APL.
Performance Medicine MSc/PGDip/PGCert
This flexible course has been designed for those already working within a sports environment to advance knowledge in applied areas such as MSK Ultrasound, Injection Therapy, Nutrition, Sports Psychology and Medicine in Extreme Environments; helping you to fully prepare your athletes.
- Must have completed Year 4 of MBChB (MBBS) qualification or relevant professional qualification for example in Physiotherapy, Sports Therapy or Sports Rehabilitation
- Be actively engaged in or access clinical experience in a Sports and Exercise Medicine practice in order to support learning within the program
Rural Medicine / URGENT CARE*
Whether you practice medicine in a rural setting or have remote access to additional or secondary medical services in an urban setting, this program will give GPs and other healthcare professionals the confidence and skills to deal with urgent and pre-hospital care which are paramount.
- Students will normally have a British honours degree (2:2 class or above) or equivalent, in a relevant subject from an approved institution of higher education.
- Non-standard applicants are welcomed.
About University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN)
Situated in the heart of the North West of England, the City of Preston is vibrant, cultural and friendly with plenty of activities and events to keep you entertained. 30,000 students live in Preston, making the city a lively, diverse and contemporary place to study.
Why choose UCLAN?
- Guaranteed Accommodation
- Our graduates are in high demand
- Low cost living in a thriving student city
- Outstanding Student Support
- A safe city to live in
- Oasis Faith and Spirituality Centre
- Free Sports Centre membership
- Learn a language for free
- A well-connected campus
- Full Time